This will be the last note for 2017 and I think we all need a bit of relaxation after an extremely exciting year. Not everything went well in 2017 but some things deserve recognition for making us feel better, namely:
- The JSE All Share Index is up 13,2% after a very lacklustre first half of the year. With inflation at 4,6% we should appreciate this solid return.
- The courts in our country are breaking down all the walls Zuma tried to build to protect him and his corrupt Gupta friends. Thuli Madonsela has been vindicated.
- Free media in our country ensured that the cancer of state capture was exposed and is being dealt with.
- Zimbabwe got rid of Robert Mugabe.
- Sexual misconduct by high profile people has been brought to light.
- Highly incompetent people in government, the judiciary and SOEs have been exposed.
Then there were the things that got us down:
- The severe drought in the Western Cape.
- Our inability to grow the economy and create jobs in the process.
- The destruction of our confidence in business by people like Markus Jooste of Steinhoff.
- The incessant political noise in the build-up to the ANC’s elective conference.
On the sidelines we also witnessed the rise in popularity of the enigma that is Bitcoin and we saw one of SA’s favourite companies – Naspers – go up 80% in value. At JWR we shared all the good and the bad during 2017 with our clients and we are looking forward to the challenges 2018 will bring.
Enjoy the festive season. Celebrate with your family, friends and loved ones and always keep things simple.